Dr. Yasser KhanOPHTHALMOLOGIST, BARRIE LASIK CENTRE
Dr. Yasser Khan is an internationally renowned ophthalmic surgeon, humanitarian and entrepreneur. He is a leading ophthalmologist in oculoplastics, orbital and cataract surgery with over 20 years of experience. He has performed over 10,000 cataract surgeries and specializes in refractive lenses. Dr. Khan is also surgical staff for both Trillium Health Partners and the William Osler Health Centers.
Dr. Khan completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Ottawa. He graduated medical school from the prestigious McMaster University in Hamilton and completed his residency at the University of Toronto. He then went on to complete a fellowship in Oculo-Facial Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgery at the University of Cincinnati.
Dr. Khan is devoted to national and global humanitarian medical work. He is a founder and CEO of GIVE − Global Initiative for Vision and Eyecare. GIVE’s primary aim is to develop social and entrepreneurship solutions to empower local populations and treat blindness. He has worked in this capacity in over 40 different countries and in Northern Ontario with the indigenous communities.
He is an associate Professor at McMaster University and the University of Toronto. He teaches cutting-edge and innovative surgical techniques to surgeons nationally and globally. His McMaster University Fellowship in Oculoplastic and Orbital Surgery has trained over 20 surgeons worldwide. His passion for teaching has allowed him to train hundreds of medical students, residents, fellows and ophthalmologists. He often guest lectures at many local and internationally renowned medical conferences.
- Dr. Khan was born and raised in Edmonton, Alberta and currently practices ophthalmology and resides in the GTA.
- Dr. Khan completed his Bachelor of Sciences at the University of Ottawa, where he had the highest academic standing in his graduating class.
- During his residency, Dr. Khan was awarded The Wing Chan Hospital for Sick Children Ophthalmology Award for the most promising and best resident and completed his training with the UFT Chief Resident Award.
- Dr. Khan holds a Master’s Degree in Digital Transformation and Innovation Leadership. He is also cross-appointed in the Faculty of Biomedical Engineering and Innovation at McMaster University.
- Dr. Khan has operated in over 40 different countries in various conditions, including the most rural areas, on an airplane and in some of the most prestigious hospitals around the world.
- Dr. Khan’s renowned fellowship program has allowed him to teach his surgical technique in over 20 different countries. He has given over 100 international lectures as an invited keynote speaker.
- Dr. Khan has served as President and Vice President of the William Osler Health Corporations representing over 1500 medical staff, 3 hospitals and one of Canada’s largest healthcare systems. He has also served as a Member of the Board of Directors.
- Dr. Khan enjoys trekking and high-altitude alpine/ mountain climbing. His highest mountain peak summited was Cotopaxi in the Andes of Ecuador at 20,000 feet, it is one of the highest active volcanoes in the world.
- Dr. Khan has a large comic book collection and has even created some of his own.
- Dr. Khan enjoys traveling, hiking and meditation. In his downtime he enjoys taking his wife and four children on local trails and exploring nature.